5.18.2016

Review: Last Year's Mistake by Gina Ciocca

Last Year's Mistake by Gina Ciocca



Before:
Kelsey and David became best friends the summer before freshman year and were inseparable ever after. Until the night a misunderstanding turned Kelsey into the school joke, and everything around her crumbled—including her friendship with David. So when Kelsey's parents decided to move away, she couldn't wait to start over and leave the past behind. Except, David wasn't ready to let her go...

After:
Now it's senior year and Kelsey has a new group of friends, genuine popularity, and a hot boyfriend. Her life is perfect. That is, until David's family moves to town and he shakes up everything. Soon old feelings bubble to the surface and threaten to destroy Kelsey's second chance at happiness. The more time she spends with David, the more she realizes she never truly let him go. And maybe she never wants to.

Told in alternating sections, LAST YEAR'S MISTAKE is a charming and romantic debut about loving, leaving, and letting go.
First Line: "The first day of senior year, he came back."

Review: Right off the bat Last Year's Mistake was a quick read. I read it in under a day and there were so many times I wanted to take my kindle and just throw it across the room because of how frustrating Kelsey was.

There was drama, angst, more drama, and plenty of slut-shaming. And yet here I am still giving this book a three and a half star rating and I'm still confused on why because slut shaming to the extent that was in this book along with the overblown drama usually makes me give a low rating or even dnf a book but here I was reading Last Year's Mistake and devouring it even though I was pissed for majority of the read.

The book is told in alternating chapters between the past and the present so we can really understand the relationship between Kelsey and David. The two were actually friends, best friends at that but after something happened Kelsey packed up and moved. Flash forward to present day, Kelsey has the perfect HS life unlike her previous high school she is now popular, lots of friends, and a hot boyfriend. Everything is great until David walks back into her life and things start to unravel very quickly, she thought she was over him but apparently her heart didn't get the memo.

There was a lot of back and forth between David and Kelsey, one minute Kelsey wanted her current boyfriend then the next David, and David loved Kelsey but dated other girls. It was all so complicated but honestly, it was teenagers being teenagers that is what I chalk it up to. As far as Kelsey went I did not like her that much, at least not present day Kelsey. Her actions made her very unlikeable and I just wanted to smack some serious sense into her. David was a good guy you can tell he obviously still really cared about Kelsey, he had his dumb moments here and there but they were usually provoked by Kelsey.

Overall this book may not be for everyone. Even with all its complications there was something about it that I still can't put my finger on which made it a very fast read for me but I would say preview a few chapters and see if this is the book for you.


Memorable Quotes:

~"Because knowing he hated me would have been a thousand times easier than knowing he didn't love me anymore."

~"I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to you. And I don't know why
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...