4.03.2015

Review: The Duff by Kody Keplinger

The Duff by Kody Keplinger


Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper may not be the prettiest girl in her high school, but she has a loyal group of friends, a biting wit, and a spot-on BS detector. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. But things aren't so great at home and Bianca, desperate for a distraction, ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone. 
First Line:"This was getting old."

Review:  I really enjoyed reading The Duff. I literally read it in one sitting and sacrificed a good amount of sleep for it. Bianca is smart and sassy and I loved her, I found her character to be very entertaining which is what kept me reading till three in the morning.

Bianca hates Wesley, I mean she just finds him to be a disgusting man whore, so it doesn't go to well when one night he informs her she is the Duff in her group of friends. First off before reading this book I never really heard of that term but apparently it's the girl who is the least attractive of their group of friends. Besides being informed she is the Duff, Bianca's home life is spiraling downwards and she finds herself looking for a distraction and somehow ends up finding that distraction in Wesley's bed.

The banter between Wesley and Bianca was great, I loved how they got to know each other slowly (on an emotional level at least) and they learned that there is definitely more to a person then what meets the eye. I'm not going to lie I hated Wesley just as much as Bianca at first but he grew on me the more I got to know him under that bad boy image he portrayed. As for Bianca at first I didn't get how she could just jump in the bed with the guy who called her a Duff but I liked the fact that she wasn't clueless either, she actually was very aware of what she was doing and how warped it was. I guess that is why I liked Bianca so much because when it came down to it she was flawed which only made her that much more real.

Another two characters that are worth mentioning are Bianca's two best friends Casey and Jessica. They genuinely cared for her and it was easy to see how amazing the girls were. I liked how we learned that even though Bianca saw  herself as the Duff in her group, her friends who she thought were the gorgeous ones didn't see themselves like that but looked at their self as if they were the Duffs in the group.

“I was the Duff. And that was a good thing. Because anyone who didn't feel like the Duff must not have friends. Every girl feels unattractive sometimes. Why had it taken me so long to figure that out? Why had I been stressing over that dumb word for so long when it was so simple? I should be proud to be the Duff. Proud to have great friends who, in their minds, were my Duffs.” 

Overall The Duff was a fun quick read if you haven't read it yet I highly recommend it.

Memorable Quotes 

~"Beauty really was skin-deep. Wesley Rush may have had the body of a Greek god, but his soul was as black and empty as the inside of my closet. What a bastard!"


~"No matter where you go or what you do to distract yourself, reality catches up with you eventually."

~"Wesley Rush doesn't chase girls, but I'm chasing you."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...