3.16.2015

Review: Where The Road Takes Me by Jay McLean

Where The Road Takes Me by Jay McLean


Chloe has one plan for the future, and one plan only: the road. She’s made a promise to herself: don’t let anyone in, and don’t let anyone love her. She’s learned the hard way what happens if she breaks her rules. So she’s focused on being invisible and waiting until she can set out on the road—her dream of freedom, at least for a little while.

Blake Hunter is a basketball star who has it all—everything about him looks perfect to those on the other side of his protective walls. He can’t let anyone see the shattered pieces behind the flawless facade or else all his hopes and dreams will disappear.

One dark night throws Chloe and Blake together, changing everything for Blake. For Chloe, nothing changes: she has the road, and she’s focused on it. But when the so-called perfect boy starts to notice the invisible girl, they discover that sometimes with love, no one knows where the road may lead.
First Line:"You know how sometimes you can tell that something is about to happen, even though there are no physical signs?"

Review:Where The Road Takes Me started off great but the further along I read the more downhill it went especially when Chloe finally went on the road things just went south for me real quick. At first I thought okay this looks like something I will rate a four star...then soon it became a three star and by the time she was on the road and her actions it was all just very frustrating.

The story revolves around Blake and Chloe. Blake is a popular jock who can't decide between going to Duke on a basketball scholarship or joining the military. Chloe on the other hand is the complete opposite of everything Blake is. She purposely tries to stay invisible. Apparently she does a great job at it because Blake and her have been going to the same school for years and even have a class together and he never noticed her. Chloe has some serious issues with attachment. She doesn't want anyone to get close to her or love her and she has her own reasons on why.

Blake's character was interesting, he was working through his own issues between deciding on his future and he had some parental issues. The whole time I was actually waiting for the confrontation between him and his dad which never really came, I was really hoping to see him stand up to his dad. As far as Chloe and him goes I found it a little unbelievable how quickly he fell for Chloe it was just a little too unrealistic and it got to a point where because of Chloe's actions I actually felt sorry for him. In a way I feel like he went from one girlfriend who treated him like crap to another and ugh...this is the part that made me not love him completely, there was the case of him cheating on his girlfriend several times with Chloe before he finally broke it off with her but I guess we were supposed to be okay with it since his girlfriend was a bitch? I personally think it still didn't make it okay he should have just broken up with her before anything physical happened with Chloe.

Now on to Chloe, at first I liked her she seemed like she was mature and knew exactly what she wanted even though it was a little twisted but it was her choice and she owned it and I could respect that but the more I got to know her I just found her to be a walking contradiction. She says she doesn't want anyone getting close to her "the road" is her thing to get away from everyone etc but within mere seconds she accepts Blake going on it with her and I was just a little dumbfounded it made no sense, it went against everything we were led to believe about her and her reasons for leaving. And the way she was with her foster family if you don't want anyone to love you the last thing you should be doing is building a bond with the kids and the foster parents in the home.

Overall the book was an okay read for me, I haven't read anything else by this author but even though I didn't have the best of luck with this one I do plan on checking out her More Than series since I've heard good things about it.



Memorable Quotes 

~"You're my unexpectedly phenomenal, Chloe. You're my red-letter day."-Blake



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...