1.21.2015

Review:One of the Guys by Lisa Aldin

One of the Guys by Lisa Aldin

Tomboy to the core, Toni Valentine understands guys. She'll take horror movies, monster hunts and burping contests over manicures. So Toni is horrified when she's sent to the Winston Academy for Girls, where she has to wear a skirt and learn to be a lady while the guys move on without her.

Then Toni meets Emma Elizabeth, a girl at school with boy troubles, and she volunteers one of her friends as a pretend date. Word spreads of Toni’s connections with boys, and she discovers that her new wealthy female classmates will pay big money for fake dates. Looking for a way to connect her old best friends with her new life at school, Toni and Emma start up Toni Valentine’s Rent-A-Gent Service. 

But the business meets a scandal when Toni falls for one of her friends--the same guy who happens to be the most sought-after date. With everything she's built on the line, Toni has to decide if she wants to save the business and her old life, or let go of being one of the guys for a chance at love. 
First Line:"I love the beginning of a hunt."

Review: Toni a.k.a. McRib is a tomboy to the core. She has had the same little clique of guy friends since she was a kid. She spends her time going monster hunting and just hanging out with the guys doing guy stuff, but all that changes when one little screw up lands her in an all girls private school and she learns that there is a part of her that just might like being a girl and doing girly stuff with her new found friend Emma.

One of the Guys had romance which was very clean but it had more to do with friendship and trying to hold on to something when everyone is starting to go their own separate paths. Yes there is also this little hustle that Toni comes up with, a rent-a-guy service which creates all sorts of complicated situations as well but the book was really about friendship, even the reasoning behind why she created the so called "business" was because of her desperate attempt to keep her friendships with the guys from drifting any further then it already had.

I loved the humor and the drama and just the coming of age type of story that One of the Guys was, and lets not forget about Micah the boy next door who is also one of Toni's closest friends. The romance between them was sweet, I don't know how else to describe it. I loved seeing them going from just friends into something more.

Overall One of the Guys had very well written characters whom you could easily relate to and I enjoyed reading it. This was a great debut novel by Lisa Aldin and I can't wait to read whatever else she may write in the future.

Memorable Quotes 

~"I'm afraid my friends are all leaving me behind. I'm afraid they don't accept me anymore. I'm afraid of becoming the girl hung out to dry. I'm afraid to be different from them. I'm afraid that, without them, I'll become unrecognizable to myself."-Toni

~"Being feminine does not equal less than, Toni......."You're allowed to embrace your womanhood if you want to."-Emma
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...