1.09.2014

Review: Pawn by Aimee Carter


Pawn by Aimee Carter




YOU CAN BE A VII IF YOU GIVE EVERYTHING.

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country.

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked - surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter.

There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed, and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand.

First Line: Risking my life to steal an orange was a stupid thing to do, but today of all days, I didn't care about the consequences.

Review:  Just when I was getting a little tired of reading Dystopian for the lack of originality I've been noticing in the genre ... here comes Pawn by Aimee Carter. I'm almost finished with her Goddess Test series (I have to get my hands on the final book) and really like it so far so of  course I was going to check out Pawn especially with all the glowing must read reviews I kept coming across. Anyways needless to say Pawn did not disappoint it was just full of awesomeness.

Pawn was an electrifying read which was very fast paced full of so many insane twists and moments I just didn't see coming. What I loved the most was the world building and the society that Carter built. It was harsh and so cruel and the fact that Kitty even lived in a world such as that it made it very easy to sympathize with our main character

Kitty Doe is a second child and in her world that means she will never get the chance to know who her parents are since they are only allowed to have one child and the rest have to be given up. At seventeen the teens take a test and based on how high or how low they score that is the quality of life they will have. So when Kitty scores a three she is devastated and decides to take measures into her own hands but one thing she never expected was to wake up masked as Lila Hart one of the most powerful members of their society.

I really liked Kitty, I found her to be very believable. Her reactions to everything that was going on around her was very realistic. What I was so grateful for was there was no love triangle at least for now and hopefully in the future books. Kitty before becoming Lila had a boyfriend whom she loved very much named Benjy and throughout the book she didn't really stray from him ALTHOUGH I was a little worried since Lila is engaged to Knox and there were a couple of moments between the two that made me questions Kitty's feelings a little bit. As for all the secondary characters well lets just say majority of them were manipulative horrible people all with their own personal agendas.

Once Kitty learns about the rebellion that is stirring amongst the people she needs to decide which side of the chess board she will be on. There is a ton of betrayal amongst the powerful family members and so much politics and corruption going on that Kitty eventually figures out the only way to survive is to be strong and not let anyone push her around, which it did take her a minute to get to that point since she was trying to figure out how to go about things while still keeping Benjy safe.

Overall Pawn was an excellent read and I can't wait to see what the second book brings I'm very eager to find out what's going to happen next.



Memorable Quotes:~" I would know something was missing. I would know my life was pointless, even if I never understood why. Even if we'd never met, even if you never existed, I would still love you beyond all reason for the rest of my life."

~ Because above all, I was one person, and all I had was my life. I wasn't going to do anything to give that up again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...