1.24.2014

Review: The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

The Distance Between Us by Kasie West




Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.

First Line: My eyes burn a hole in the page.

Review:  The Distance Between Us... was it original? no of course not but that didn't stop me from flying through the book with this big dorky grin on my face the whole time.

Caymen has a negative perception about rich people mainly due to what she has been told by her mother who became pregnant by somebody rich and then he abandoned her and it doesn't help that the mom constantly reminds Caymen on why she needs to make sure to avoid the rich. Of course they do own a doll shop which in my opinion is kind of creepy and it just so happens a lot of their customers are the wealthy. Anyways Caymen is fine living in her world leading a simple life until one day Xander walks in and that's when things change for our main character and she realizes not everything and everyone is as they seem.

Straight up I loved Caymen mainly because she reminded me of myself as a teenager with all her sarcasm and I found her to be easily relateable just based off that characteristic alone. Besides that though I liked her because she was willing to put her biased opinion aside and give Xander a chance, at times she did tend to jump to conclusions that weren't true without seeking out the truth but I felt moments such as those were what gave growth to her character because when she was slammed with the truth she had to take a moment and really grow up.

As for Xander I didn't know what to think of him when we first me him walking into Caymen's store and "beckoning" her, but I grew to like him very quickly. I liked the approach he took with Caymen instead of jumping in right off the bat and saying I like you etc etc he took the friendship route and built her trust in him slowly.

What I didn't care for was Mason I found his character as an extra that just didn't need to be there that or at least give him more depth and make him more relevant. Also I had issues with the way things just wrapped up so quickly at the end I would have loved a little more in depth explanations of a few things.

Overall I enjoyed The Distance Between Us, I found myself laughing quite often through the book and just having a good time. I would consider this a great "in-between" book, you know one of those you pick up to take a break from the dark and/or gut wrenching novels.




Memorable Quotes:“A lot of people don’t get my humor. My mom calls it dry humor. I think that means “not funny,” but it also means I’m the only one who ever knows it’s a joke.”

~"Feelings, my dear daughter, you will perhaps learn one day, can be the most costly thing in the universe."




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...