12.05.2013

Review: The Almost Girl by Amalie Howard


The Almost Girl by Amalie Howard




Seventeen-year-old Riven is as tough as they come. Coming from a world ravaged by a devastating android war, she has to be. There’s no room for softness, no room for emotion, no room for mistakes. A Legion General, she is the right hand of the young Prince of Neospes, a parallel universe to Earth. In Neospes, she has everything: rank, responsibility and respect. But when Prince Cale sends her away to find his long-lost brother, Caden, who has been spirited back to modern day Earth, Riven finds herself in uncharted territory.

Thrown out of her comfort zone but with the mindset of a soldier, Riven has to learn how to be a girl in a realm that is the opposite of what she knows. Riven isn't prepared for the beauty of a world that is unlike her own in so many ways. Nor is she prepared to feel something more than indifference for the very target she seeks. Caden is nothing like Cale, but he makes something in her come alive, igniting a spark deep down that goes against every cell in her body. For the first time in her life, Riven isn't sure about her purpose, about her calling. Torn between duty and desire, she must decide whether Caden is simply a target or whether he is something more.

Faced with hideous reanimated Vector soldiers from her own world with agendas of their own, as well as an unexpected reunion with a sister who despises her, it is a race against time to bring Caden back to Neospes. But things aren't always as they seem, and Riven will have to search for truth. Family betrayals and royal coups are only the tip of the iceberg. Will Riven be able to find the strength to defy her very nature? Or will she become the monstrous soldier she was designed to be?

First Line: The slight figure is lithe and quick, a shadow of a shadow in the darkness.

ReviewI was surfing Net Galley and caught sight of this book, I never heard of it before but knew I had to read it just because of how amazing I thought the cover was and of course the blurb caught my interest as well. Anyways I found The Almost Girl to be a good read there were some things that I didn't care for but for the most part I found myself enjoying it.

Riven is sent to Earth from her world Neospes by the Prince to find his brother who was hidden away on Earth. The book starts off in a high school setting and I just didn't like that at all. There was a little too much angsty teen drama for the duration they were on earth. And then what kind of baffled me was that Riven is supposed to be the best soldier in her world which we learn later why and she didn't even recognize Caden whom she has classes with ..umm seriously? She was described as one thing but her actions led me to believe otherwise. Personally Riven did not grow on me until they jumped worlds and were back in Neospes. What I was most interested to read about Riven was her handling of her emotions. She was trained not to love. There is a lot of family issues with her as well which made things interesting and then her conflict of feelings for Caden she is loyal to Cale but is falling for her target.

As for Caden he was a good guy, he didn't know anything about who he was since he was raised as a normal teenager but then the part that kind of didn't make sense about him was how it was implied he was just as good if not better of a fighter then Riven who literally is bad-ass and has been trained to kill since she was a child. Then there was just how he accepted everything that was told to him about who he was I guess I expected him to freak out a little more then he did. I think I would have connected with his character a bit more if there was a couple of chapters in his point of view.

As for the plot as  a whole well I pretty much liked it a lot. It's what kept me turning the pages and reading The Almost Girl so quickly. Once the high school setting was taken away and the characters arrived in Neospes things just got even more insane in a good way. You didn't know who to trust and what was going to happen next. 

Overall I found The Almost Girl to be fast paced and worth the read.





Memorable Quotes:~ "Really? Can't he just be a soldier and go with Sauer? That way, I don't end up killing him by accident or something."

~"Because life's too short. Even if one of those guys" - he gestures to the Vector watching us-"wants to kill me, I'd rather die with a smile in my heart. Life is for the living, and death is for the dead."


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...