10.07.2013

Review: Where the Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller


Where the Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller
  • Pub. Date: September 24, 2013
  • Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
  • Pages:308
  • Goodreads/Amazon/B&N




Stolen as a child from her large and loving family, and on the run with her mom for more than ten years, Callie has only the barest idea of what normal life might be like. She's never had a home, never gone to school, and has gotten most of her meals from laundromat vending machines. Her dreams are haunted by memories she’d like to forget completely. But when Callie’s mom is finally arrested for kidnapping her, and Callie’s real dad whisks her back to what would have been her life, in a small town in Florida, Callie must find a way to leave the past behind. She must learn to be part of a family. And she must believe that love--even with someone who seems an improbable choice--is more than just a possibility.

Trish Doller writes incredibly real teens, and this searing story of love, betrayal, and how not to lose your mind will resonate with readers who want their stories gritty and utterly true.

First Line: Yellow light slashes the darkness as Mom sneaks into the apartment again.

Review: I never read Trish Doller's Something Like Normal so I'm a complete newb when it came to her work and even though I didn't completely fall in love with Where the Stars Still Shine I did like it enough to where I am looking forward to reading more novels by her.

Okay so Where the Stars Still Shine is about Callie who was kidnapped by her mom at the young age of five years old. She never had a normal life they were always moving from place to place. Her mother suffers from a mental illness, she never went to school, or had friends  and she was a victim of sexual abuse, basically a stable home life was non-existent for her. So when she is  thrust back into the life she would of had had her mom not kidnapped her she has a lot of things to work through.

I could not get myself to like Callie. In the beginning of the book before she got reunited with her family I sympathized for her but after being reunited with her family her character became a little frustrating to me and I just couldn't connect with her. What really threw me off was how sexual she was. I didn't like how the insta-love thing happened between her and Alex and by the second meeting they were already having sex. Another thing about Callie that bugged me was how she treated Kat she was so mean to her  for the most part when all she was trying to do was be a good friend. Then there was her mom and I couldn't stand how she kept letting her mom back in even after realizing how toxic she was.

What I did enjoy were the parts that involved her family. She came from such a wonderful Greek family who really loved her and were thankful to have her back. We saw her dad struggling to connect with his daughter, her step-mom not fully trusting her with her step-brothers and working through her issues, then there was also her grandma who was there for her also throughout the whole ordeal.

Overall I did find this book to be predictable and true the main character was not someone I really cared for much but the book as whole was actually still a good read and I would recommend picking it up.



Memorable Quotes:

~ Most of my life is recorded in this book, starting when I first learned to write in crooked letters. Most. Because there are some secrets you don't even want to tell yourself.






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...