10.04.2012

Review: Mystic City by Theo Lawrence

Mystic City by Theo Lawrence
  • Pub. Date:October 9, 2012
  • Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
  • Pages: 416
  • Series: Mystic City#1
  • Amazon/Goodreads

Aria Rose, youngest scion of one of Mystic City's two ruling rival families, finds herself betrothed to Thomas Foster, the son of her parents' sworn enemies. The union of the two will end the generations-long political feud—and unite all those living in the Aeries, the privileged upper reaches of the city, against the banished mystics who dwell below in the Depths. But Aria doesn't remember falling in love with Thomas; in fact, she wakes one day with huge gaps in her memory. And she can't conceive why her parents would have agreed to unite with the Fosters in the first place. Only when Aria meets Hunter, a gorgeous rebel mystic from the Depths, does she start to have glimmers of recollection—and to understand that he holds the key to unlocking her past. The choices she makes can save or doom the city—including herself. 



First Line: "So little time is left."


Review: Before I start my review I have to say I love the cover and I loved the fact that it went so well with the actual book. I was a little torn between if I wanted to give the book 4 stars or not and in the end I couldn't do it because of a couple of things but nonetheless this is a really great read.

Aria  wakes up with a huge memory gap. She doesn't remember how or when she supposedly fell in love with Thomas Foster who is the son of her families number one enemy, and she doesn't remember overdosing on a mind altering drug called Stic which according to her very wealthy and influential family is the cause of her memory loss. It becomes to the point where she starts to question if all they are saying really happened and then she meets Hunter a mystic rebel that lives in the Depth and that is when things get really interesting.

This in a way reminded me of Romeo and Juliet. There is forbidden love, the family will kill to keep her from him, and lots of politics at play. I really liked Hunter he was strong, brave, and was more then just the love interest he had a real purpose in the book. Aria was someone that had to grow on me only because I was a little frustrated at how she couldn't see what was in front of her eyes about all the lies that were being told to her, there were so many clues. As a reader you already know who Hunter is within the first few chapters but it takes Aria a really long time to figure it all out.

I also found it pretty cool how the Mystics had these powers kind of like the x-men in a way. They supposedly have always been around and they helped use their powers to develop the Aeries which is where the prominent families live. But then they were accused of some terrorist acts and they were looked at as dangerous and were required to have their powers drained and the ones that didn't were considered rebels. Overall the Mystics were very intriguing beings and I actually hope the author dives even more into their world in the next book.

Besides the few little issues I had with the book I am looking forward to the next book in the series.


Memorable quotes 

I betrayed my family, and I betrayed Thomas, and worst of all...it felt amazing.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...