7.03.2012

Review: Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

  • Pub. Date: May 01, 2012
  • Publisher: Harper Teen
  • Pages: 464
  • Series: The Sweet Trilogy #1


Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.

Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She’s aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within. It isn’t until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He’s the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?

First Line: Nearly sixteen years ago..."The newborn wailed as the midwife wrapped her in a receiving blanket and quickly handed her to sister Ruth."

Review: I was really excited when Sweet Evil arrived in the mail, with all the hype surrounding it, I was expecting an out of this world amazing read, and yeah the book kept me engaged to where I was putting off some of my responsibilities but it didn't wow me like I thought it would. It was still a great read but I didn't see what all the hype was about it.

The main issue I had right off the bat was Anna. She was so innocent and pure, I understand she was part Angel but the girl was too unrealistic and not relatable, and in order for me to get into the story I have to be able to relate to the characters especially the main one. Then there was Kaiden the only thing I really liked about him was the fact that he had a British accent, I love that about a guy. His father was the Duke of Lust yep that's right so guess what Kaiden's job was? He had to seduce girls and have sex with them this included the groupies that hung around him along with random girls. Like that wasn't bad enough what really bothered me was when we learned the truth about Marissa and her "nieces", the girls were trafficked and Kaidens job was to introduce these girls to their new lives as sex slaves...it was just thrown in there and forgotten about soon after.

Honestly all the "jobs" the Nephilims had were disturbing and morally very wrong, but this was a dark book and these were children of demons so I can say for a fact they did live up to what was expected of them. I feel like I'm contradicting myself with this review... the same reasons why I was a little turned off by the book is the same reason why I loved it. Does that make sense? probably not. I didn't like how immoral and vile the nephs were but at the same time it made sense they are children of demons so of course they are going to be evil and do horrendous acts so actually the author did do a great job portraying their roles.

Even though the book was heavily centered around Kaiden and Anna's relationship or lack of since Kaiden was always running hot and cold, the mythology created by the author was done very well and captured my interest. I thought the whole concept of Dukes, Nephs, Angels and Legionnaires were pretty original. Also the pacing was great, everything flowed and moved very well. And minus the few issues I had with the book this was a great debut novel and I plan on reading the next book when it comes out.







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...