3.15.2012

Review: Unearthly ( Unearthly #1) by Cynthia Hand

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

  • Pub. Date: January 2011
  • Publisher:HarperCollins Publishers 
  • Pages: 435
  • Series: Unearthly #1

"In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . 


Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.


Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.


As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?


Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.



First Line: In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees.


Review:  When Unearthly first came out last year I was hesitant on getting it and honestly even now I didn't buy the novel it was gifted to me and okay yes I admit it I should have hopped on the bandwagon when it came out because it was an excellent read.

I really liked Cynthia Hands writing, it flowed very nicely.  I also liked how she made the angels have a "purpose" that was a little different and I found it interesting. As far as the characters I really enjoyed all of them, they were all very fleshed out and they seemed real. I liked Clara who is a quarter angel but is still a teenage girl who is seriously just trying to find herself. And I was also curious about her mom because for whatever reason she will not tell Clara what her purpose was and yet she expects Clara to tell her everything that goes on with her.

There were two love interests Tucker and Christian and okay yes I adored Tucker but in the end it really doesn't matter to me who she ends up with. Maybe my feelings will change after I read Hallowed...just have to wait and see.

Overall I regret not picking Unearthly up when all the hype was surrounding it. It really is an enjoyable read and rather refreshing compared to some of the other Angel books that are out there.


Buy on 



Book Trailer

3 comments:

  1. I loved Unearthly, it seems like I read it so long ago...LOL

    I need to pick up Hallowed, I probably should read Unearthly again though. The joys of waiting so long between books. Great review. You don't have my problem since you waited. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually just received Hallowed in the mail yesterday so yes i'm excited to start it :) I completely understand having to wait so long in between books so many times I have to pull the first book out just to refresh my memory although i'm trying something new and keeping notes on books I've read so I can just look back at them when I have the sequel in hand.

      Delete
  2. I have the ebook of Unearthly but I haven't read it yet. It sounds really good and I am looking forward to it but I still have a few others that I have to read before it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...