7.13.2011

Review: Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright



Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright


  • Pub. Date: August 2010 /Released in Paperback/Hardcover January 2011
  • Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
  • Fromat: Paperback 329pp

"The blacksmith would marry her.
The woodcutter would run away with her.
The werewolf would turn her into one of its own.
 

Valerie's sister was beautiful, kind, and sweet. Now she is dead. Henry, the handsome son of the blacksmith, tries to console Valerie, but her wild heart beats fast for another: the outcast woodcutter, Peter, who offers Valerie another life far from home. 

After her sister's violent death, Valerie's world begins to spiral out of control. For generations, the Wolf has been kept at bay with a monthly sacrifice. But now no one is safe. When an expert Wolf hunter arrives, the villagers learn that the creature lives among them--it could be anyone in town. 

It soon becomes clear that Valerie is the only one who can hear the voice of the creature. The Wolf says she must surrender herself before the blood moon wanes...or everyone she loves will die. 

Based on a screenplay written by David Leslie Johnson"

Review: I didn't fall in love with this book. I really wanted to, since I love the classic Red Riding Hood and also thought the world building in this current version was just wonderful. What gave me mixed feelings was the characters, they all were flat with no real character development in my opinion. I also didn't care for the love triangle or the instant love that happened between Valerie and Peter.

What kept me reading was the suspense. I had no idea who the wolf was until the very end. Not to mention the world created in the retelling was extremely dark which is how I've always pictured Red Riding Hood. I did end up knocking off a star due to the fact that I had to go online to read the final "bonus" chapter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...