3.01.2011

Book Review The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter




The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter



synopsis-Every girl who has taken the test has died.

Now it's Kate's turn.

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and now her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.

If she fails...



I wasn't too sure what to expect going into this book. My thoughts when I heard about The Goddess Test was who can possibly go wrong writing about Greek mythology combined with romance there is just no way! Did Aimee Carter prove my thought correct? Yes!. I have a tendency to read with a critical eye so did I find some flaws? In my opinion yes but did it bring the book down as a whole? Continue and you will find out.

Katherine Winters whom everyone calls Kate has just moved to Eden, Michigan with her dying mom from New York due to her moms last request. She has been taking care of her since her mother became sick during her freshman year in high school. Leaving her very little time to ever have friends, date, and to just live the life of a normal teenager.

Her first day at Eden High she meets some very interesting characters. Ava, who doesn't like Kate right off the bat since she thinks her boyfriend Dylan is into her, James who attaches himself to her since the minute she walks in the halls of the school, Irene the office lady who shows sympathy to what is going on with her mother and of course Dylan who couldn't help but just stare at her.

One night- one prank and the life of one of Kate's classmates is taken away. That is where the mysterious gorgeous Henry shows up. She asked for help and in return would give him whatever he wants. He stated read the story of Hades and Persephone. There lay the answer to what he wanted from her. In return he brought her classmate back to life.

With hesitation and a few more unfortunate events she accepts what he wants from her. Seven tests must be passed for her to serve beside him as the queen of the underworld and if she fails she would risk losing her mother, her memory of everything that has happened and her new found love...Henry.


I am not going to give any spoilers away. At least try my hardest not to. I love Greek mythology and Carter did an excellent job giving this book a modern day twist to the myth. I love Kate's character for the most part. She is witty, upfront, and real. Yet there was a few times I just wanted to shake her into common sense mainly parts that dealt with her believing Henry was who he said he was and how she at times still felt it was a prank or all of it just couldn't be real. Now if he hadn't done things like bringing her school mate back to life or how when he was with her they could be in one room one second and the next standing outside in the garden it would make sense. I felt moments like that made her character seem pretty dumb and annoying. Thankfully as the book continues on her character was redeemed as she showed strength,courage and made many sacrifices which helped her become a favorite of mine again.

I do wish there was more character development, I didn't feel like I really knew anyone except Kate and James. Henry was someone I was really hoping to get to know more. I just wanted to get inside his head and know what he was thinking or at least how he felt towards Kate besides the little "I Care" he stated every once in a while. But his character was always so mysterious and remained that way for more than first half of the book. Eventually you do get to see some passion from him as things move along and even learn why he did remain distant. Yet I still didn't fall in love with him. Personally I believe James, another major character showed more emotion than Henry and i'm interested to read book two because it's evident there is more of him in it.

Even with these minor character flaws I fell in love with the plot the deeper I got into it. The book as a whole is a very quick read and will keep you entangled in it's web due to how amazing the plot was, not to mention a breath of fresh air from all these vampire and angel romances. The author also did her job in keeping me curious enough to where I am so upset that I have to wait a year for the next book in the series. I personally want more of James and Kate and also want to see how things develop with Henry.

Death, betrayal,deception, sacrifice all wrapped up with love makes for a great read and that's exactly what Aimee Carter has created.





3 comments:

  1. Great review! I just got this book and I cannot wait to start it!
    NC
    Truly Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Greek Mythology so this book sounds amazing! Great review

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really interesting and one that I will look out for.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...