8.21.2018

Review: Seafire by Natalie C. Parker

Seafire by Natalie C. Parker





After her family is killed by corrupt warlord Aric Athair and his bloodthirsty army of Bullets, Caledonia Styx is left to chart her own course on the dangerous and deadly seas. She captains her ship, the Mors Navis, with a crew of girls and women just like her, whose lives have been turned upside down by Aric and his men. The crew has one misson: stay alive, and take down Aric's armed and armored fleet.

But when Caledonia's best friend and second-in-command just barely survives an attack thanks to help from a Bullet looking to defect, Caledonia finds herself questioning whether or not to let him join their crew. Is this boy the key to taking down Aric Athair once and for all...or will he threaten everything the women of the Mors Navis have worked for? 


Review: I love books having to do with pirates and when I heard about Seafire, an all girl crew pirate ship I knew it was a must read. I flew through Seafire it was incredibly fast paced with characters I grew to adore. The book is advertised as a female empowering novel having to do with sisterhood and loyalty and it did not let me down, the message was clear throughout the entire novel. I can't sing enough praise about how well Parker did on that front.

We are told the entire story from Caledonia's point of view and talk about a deeply flawed character because Caledonia is just that. She is very haunted due to something that she was the cause of in her past and at times she could be frustrating but not in an annoying I can't stand her way, more of a okay I see how she has to go through this for character growth and you do love her more as the book progresses.

What would have made me love Seafire even more would have been another point of view, I feel that Pisces the girl who has been with Caledonia since the very beginning deserved her own point of view I loved her equally if not more than Caledonia and I feel we deserve to know her journey just as much as Caledonia's,.

Okay now on to the reasons why I couldn't give the book a full five stars. Two things the world building and the romance. The writing was beautiful but the world building lacked depth, we are told about the Bullets and their tyrant ruler and we see the Bullets in battle but we still don't know much of anything then there was the actual world they were living in it was very unique but not much history was given at all about how and why things are the way they are. Then there was the romance which felt forced upon us towards the end, there was no chemistry between the two and then all of a sudden we are supposed to believe they have feelings for each other which they act upon out of nowhere. It would have been better off if there was no romance in the book, it literally felt like it was put in there for the sake of putting it in the book.

Overall I did enjoy Seafire and I will recommend it to anyone looking for a book having to do with strong women who are loyal and fierce. I am very excited for the next book especially with that cliffhanger we are left with at the end.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...