7.31.2018

Mini Review: House of Darken by Jaymin Eve

House of Darken by Jaymin Eve

  • Pub. Date: June 1 , 2018
  • Publisher: Self Published
  • Pages:340
  • Rating:2/5 Stars
  • Series: Secret Keepers #1
  • Goodreads/Amazon


When Emma moves to Astoria, Oregon, she is given two rules: 

#1 – Don’t cross to “their” side of the street.

#2 – Don’t mess with the elites, especially Lexen Darken, top elite and resident bad boy. 

While she finds this both weird and insulting, Emma has no actual intention of breaking these rules - until her guardians go missing. Now all bets are off. Only a single line separates her side of the street from the elites', and she's crossing it.

Captured and held by Lexen and his brothers, she learns the rules are in place for a very good reason. There's a secret world hidden in this small town which goes far beyond the one she knows and understands. 

A world not for humans.
Review: For a book that has such glowing reviews I'm still trying to figure out what I just read, I mean did I read the same book as everyone else? 

It started off with a twilight fan fic vibe which I was okay with, what I didn't like was the underdeveloped characters and relationships and let's not forget how the MC was always ALWAYS crying and annoying and ugh whiny, which is one of my biggest character pet peeves. She cried every chance she got whether she was sad or happy, frankly it got old real fast. The girl was a damsel in distress of the worst kind.


Then there was the love interest, I'm all for the bad boy enemies to lovers trope, I actually live for those, they are one of my favorites BUT when you mix that in with insta-love...no thanks. I'm talking about within two days they are falling for each other, it was so utterly unbelievable especially when I am still trying to figure out HOW? What did Lex see in Emma and not because I didn't like her but I really don't understand how he fell for her, what made him fall for her. One minute he hated her and next we are being told he loves her.


The book has dragons...DRAGONS! Dragons always signify an epic read and House of Darken had so much potential with just that element alone but sadly the MC and insta love ruined it for me.  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...