9.01.2014

Review: The Winter People by Rebekah L. Purdy

The Winter People by Rebekah L. Purdy

    An engrossing, complex, romantic fantasy perfect for fans of Kristin Cashore or Maggie Stiefvater, set in a wholly unique world.

    Salome Montgomery fears winter—the cold, the snow, the ice, but most of all, the frozen pond she fell through as a child. Haunted by the voices and images of the strange beings that pulled her to safety, she hasn't forgotten their warning to "stay away." For eleven years, she has avoided the winter woods, the pond, and the darkness that lurks nearby. But when failing health takes her grandparents to Arizona, she is left in charge of maintaining their estate. This includes the "special gifts" that must be left at the back of the property.
 


    Salome discovers she’s a key player in a world she’s tried for years to avoid. At the center of this world is the strange and beautiful Nevin, who she finds trespassing on her family’s property. Cursed with dark secrets and knowledge of the creatures in the woods, his interactions with Salome take her life in a new direction. A direction where she'll have to decide between her longtime crush Colton, who could cure her fear of winter. Or Nevin who, along with an appointed bodyguard, Gareth, protects her from the darkness that swirls in the snowy backdrop. An evil that, given the chance, will kill her.

    First Line: "Winter had come again, and She lurked in the frozen crevices."

    Review: The Winter People was about Salome Montgomery and as insane as it sounds she fears winter. She had a accident when she was very young and due to the things she saw and heard has been living a life of fear when Winter rolls around.

     I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book even when I realized that this book had not a love triangle but a quadrangle and I was skeptical I already was dealing with the love triangle and when the third guy came into the picture I started to really doubt I was going to enjoy this book but what can I say it was done in a way which didn't annoy me so it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book, and it did help that there was one guy I fell head over heels for and was so glad she ended up with him in the end.

    One thing I liked about The Winter People was that we as the reader are kept in the dark about everything just like Salome, although at times I did get pissed off at the people around her because due to a curse they were not allowed to tell her anything she had to figure it out all on her own, well except for Gareth since he isn't cursed he was able to help her more then the others. Speaking of the curse the one thing that brought this book down for me a little bit was the fact that I didn't feel like Salome did much in terms of truly investigating and finding out how to break the curse and then bam! at the end she just figured it out at the most crucial point of the book.

    I was not able to tear myself away from this novel and barely gave anyone the time of day and one of the main reasons for that besides having an interesting plot was the writing, Purdy has a very beautiful way of writing and describing the world which was created in The Winter People that I was able to picture everything in my head with ease and almost felt like I was there.

     Overall great read and can't wait for it to come out so I can grab myself a physical copy the cover is gorgeous and goes so well with the book.



    Memorable Quotes:

    ~"Right, great idea-spooky woods, fog, graveyard. Might as well just put dumb ass stamp on my forehead. How many scary movies had I seen over the years where I yelled at the stupid actresses for going into places they shouldn't? And here I was, playing the stupid actress."


    ~"Being good is overrated."

    ~"Here's a game lesson, Salome. Never trust anybody to make your decisions for you."

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...