5.30.2014

Review: Take Me On by Katie McGarry

Take Me On by Katie McGarry




    Acclaimed author Katie McGarry returns with the knockout new story of two high school seniors who are about to learn what winning really means.

    Champion kickboxer Haley swore she'd never set foot in the ring again after one tragic night. But then the guy she can't stop thinking about accepts a mixed martial arts fight in her honor. Suddenly, Haley has to train West Young. All attitude, West is everything Haley promised herself she'd stay away from. Yet he won't last five seconds in the ring without her help.

    West is keeping a big secret from Haley. About who he really is. But helping her-fighting for her-is a shot at redemption. Especially since it's his fault his family is falling apart. He can't change the past, but maybe he can change Haley's future.

    Hayley and West have agreed to keep their relationship strictly in the ring. But as an unexpected bond forms between them and attraction mocks their best intentions, they'll face their darkest fears and discover love is worth fighting for.

    First Line: "A door squeaks open at the far end of the barren hallway and the clicking of high heels echoes off the row of metal post-office boxes."

    Review:  
    So far I have been loving the Pushing The Limits Series and this one was no different although out of the four if I had to choose this would be my least favorite but I still really enjoyed the heck out of this book. I think I was a little biased towards West since I pretty much hated him from the last book so to look at him in any other form then the guy who screwed things up in the last book took a little time to get past...about half way through the book until he grew on me actually.

    Right off the bat I really liked Haley, she is a champion kick boxer which is bad ass but like all of McGarry's characters she is broken her and her family have suffered great loss which leads them to depend on her verbally abusive uncle who is a complete jerk to where your waiting for the moment when someone sets him straight and then on top of that Haley has stopped fighting after getting into it with her abusive ex who happens to also be a MMA fighter and has it out for her brother and cousin. I liked that she had many layers to her character she was strong but yet had many weaknesses as well which made her seem very real.

    Then there is West, i'm  still not fully in love with his character because of the last book but even then he just seemed typical rich party boy with parental issues. He is one of those characters that just does things without thinking which is what landed him in a fight against Haley's ex. It was interesting to see how the Rachel situation from the last book really affected him and that made me soften up on him a little. He had tremendous amount of guilt to the point where he couldn't even face his sister and it was a battle within himself for him to finally go see her knowing he was the cause of it all.

    Overall I didn't find myself as emotionally invested with the characters in this book as I have with the ones in the past three books but nonetheless it was still a page turner and a great addition to the series. Now if only we can get a book for Abby I have a feeling her story is going to be freakin' incredible.





    Memorable Quotes: ~“ I do need to talk to somebody. I want to open my mouth and vomit out all that has happened, to take the darkness and give it to somebody else. I want the nastiness and decay out of my body, out of my soul, and maybe if I expelled it in words, then maybe, just maybe, the rot would be gone."

    ~ "Don't think of it as falling. Think of it as jumping-with me."

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...