5.23.2013

Review: Dare You To by Katie McGarry


Dare You To by Katie McGarry


Ryan lowers his lips to my ear. "Dance with me, Beth."

"No." I whisper the reply. I hate him and I hate myself for wanting him to touch me again....

"I dare you..."


If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....

Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.

But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all....

First Line: I'm not interested in second place.

ReviewIf you have already read Pushing  The Limits you already know about all the hype surrounding Dare You To and the hype is very well deserved. Thanks to a sneak peak first chapter that I read a while back of Dare You To I already knew that this book wasn't going to be a Beth and Isaiah love story but Beth and a new character named Ryan, even then I was still holding out hope that maybe she will end up with Isaiah until about midway through the book when Ryan started to really grow on me and I realized that he is what Beth needs, someone to take a hold on her and wrench her out of the downward spiral that is her life.

I knew I was going to like Beth from the very beginning even though there were moments when I just wished I could knock some sense into her because of her stupid decisions such as taking the blame for her drug addicted mom and trying to help her when clearly she didn't care for any help. The girl is broken badly, she comes from a messed up situation and the worst of it is she has lost all hope herself for anything better. There were so many times when she just broke my heart and when it comes down to it I found myself really rooting for her and wanting better for her.

Now Ryan took some getting used to. One because well he wasn't Isaiah and two because in the beginning he just seemed immature especially with the whole dare that started it all. Well needless to say I misjudged Ryan, he comes from a dysfunctional family, his family gives off the image of the perfect family but it's far from it. Not to mention I did feel his character grew a lot and I found myself thinking how awesome he is about midway. All I know is by the end of the book I got why Ryan was what Beth needed.

Overall this was an excellent read. Katie McGarry did it again creating an emotional roller coaster of a book with characters that were very realistic. 


Memorable Quotes: ~ "A muscle near my eye ticks. On rare occasions, bunnies can develop rabies, and Scott did warn me she was rough around the edges. He failed to mention that razor blades are her softest layer."

"A silver of hope sneaks past my walls and I slam every opening shut. Emotion is evil. People who make me feel are worse. I take comfort in the stone inside of me. If I don't feel, I don't hurt."

"...I'd love to kiss her right now. Not the type of kiss that makes her body come alive. The type of kiss that shows her how much I care - the type that involves my soul."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...