1.07.2013

Review: The Trouble With Fate by Leigh Evans

The Trouble With Fate by Leigh Evans 

I Have Two Words For Werewolves:

My name is Hedi Peacock and I have a secret. I’m not human, and I have the pointy Fae ears and Were inner-bitch to prove it. As fairy tales go, my childhood was damn near perfect, all fur and magic until a werewolf killed my father and the Fae executed my mother. I’ve never forgiven either side. Especially Robson Trowbridge. He was a part-time werewolf, a full-time bastard, and the first and only boy I ever loved. That is, until he became the prime suspect in my father’s death…

Bite Me.

Today I’m a half-breed barista working at a fancy coffee house, living with my loopy Aunt Lou and a temperamental amulet named Merry, and wondering where in the world I’m going in life. A pretty normal existence, considering. But when a pack of Weres decides to kidnap my aunt and force me to steal another amulet, the only one who can help me is the last person I ever thought I’d turn to: Robson Trowbridge. And he’s as annoyingly beautiful as I remember. That’s the trouble with fate: Sometimes it barks. Other times it bites. And the rest of the time it just breaks your heart. Again…

First Line: We lived in a long flat bungalow in Creemore.

ReviewI was really excited to get my hands on this book, I haven't read about to many characters who are half Fae and half Were so this made for an interesting read. I liked the uniqueness of the story but there were a few issues I had with it that made me lower the rating.

Heidi faced tragedy at the young age of twelve where her parents were killed the mom (who was Fae)  by a Fae right in front of her and her Were father by another Were. Meanwhile her brother who was her twin was kidnapped by the Fae and taken into their realm which is unreachable to Heidi. Since then Heidi has been lying low keeping her and her crazy aunt Lou safe and undetected by the Were's until one day they come after her aunt and kidnap her.

I liked Heidi's overall wittiness and snarkiness attitude and loved it when she tapped into her Were Bitch but at the same time I didn't really connect too well with her character, for some reason it was hard to feel sympathetic towards her. Then there was the love interest Robson Trowbridge who is a full blooded Were, he also has had a very troubled past and it doesn't help that Heidi blames him for a lot of the horrible things that happened to her. As for the romance between the two it was not believable, it felt forced and I didn't really see the appeal in Trowbridge at all.

What I did enjoy about the book was that it was full of action, it had an Amulet named Merry that had a personality of it's own and strangely even though Merry couldn't speak it had a personality that was very likable. Also I liked the ending which is what made me give this an additional half star, it leaves you with a cliffhanger that makes you want to pick up the next book in the series. Overall even though I didn't love the book it was still a decent read not the best since at times I did feel some parts dragged but the series has a lot of potential and  I'm interested to see how the characters grow in the upcoming books.





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...