7.05.2012

Review: Glitch by Heather Anastasiu

Glitch by Heather Anastasiu

  • Pub. Date: August 07, 2012
  • Publisher: St. Martin's Press
  • Pages: 336
  • Series: Glitch #1


In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

In this action-packed debut, Glitch begins an exciting new young adult trilogy.

First Line: "I felt it coming this time."


Review: I was excited to get my hands on Glitch. I'm not sure what it is but I have developed a love for Sci-Fi/Dystopian reads. And Glitch did not fail me. Now there was some unique elements that made the book stand out but in the end it still had a typical dystopian plot in which the government is controlling everyone and there is a rebel group trying to break everyone free from it. Nonetheless it was done very well and I couldn't stay away from this book.

We are introduced to a world in which everyone lives below the surface since earth is pretty much ruined and according to the government the surface is toxic and will kill you. People are controlled, they have chips installed in them that prevents them from feeling any form of emotion, smelling any scent or even seeing in color. Zoel or Zoe is a glitcher meaning she starts to feel things and smell and see color and she also discovers she is telekinetic. All this is very dangerous since the government deactivates glitchers. I liked Zoe, she acted the way I would have to assume someone in her situation would, although I wasn't a fan of her friendship with Max he had some serious unhealthy obsession with her.

Adrien the boy with the aquamarine green eyes, I can imagine how gorgeous eyes like that may be but it became a little annoying being reminded about it over and over throughout the book. Besides that little fact I loved Adrien. I'm not going to give spoilers on who he is but you find out pretty quick in the novel who he is and why he is there. I adored him for the fact that he was so patient with Zoe and helped answer a lot of questions she had about what she was going through. My only beef with him and Zoe was there was this insta-love between the two, it just wasn't realistic especially under the circumstances.

I loved the powers the glitchers had, that always makes things exciting and interesting and when Zoe finally tunes in to hers and unleashes what she can do it is bad ass. It only made me love her character more, I have a feeling she will grow a whole lot in the next book.

Overall this is a great Sci-Fi/Dystopia read. The author did a great job with the novel and the ending was very well done. Everything was explained and I was very satisfied with the way it ended. There was no major cliffhanger but I have enough curiosity built up to where I know I will be picking up the next book.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...