5.20.2012

Review: The Lost Code by Kevin Emerson

The Lost Code by Kevin Emerson

  • Pub. Date: May 22, 2012
  • Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
  • Pages: 448
  • Series: The Atlanteans #1

http://www.kevinemerson.net/




WHAT IS OLDEST WILL BE NEW, WHAT IS LOST SHALL BE FOUND.


The ozone is ravaged, ocean levels have risen, and the sun is a daily enemy. But global climate change is not something new in the Earth’s history.


No one will know this better than less-than-ordinary Owen Parker, who is about to discover that he is the descendant of a highly advanced ancient race—a race that took their technology too far and almost destroyed the Earth in the process.


Now it is Owen’s turn to make right in his world what went wrong thousands of years ago. If Owen can unlock the lost code in his very genes, he may rediscover the forgotten knowledge of his ancestry…and that less-than-ordinary can evolve into extraordinary



Review: I was really excited about this book when I heard of it, I don't think I've ever read a book that involved the Atlanteans but it didn't quite turn out to be as I expected. The first half of the book was very slow for me. It set up the world in which they live in, about the camp Owen was at, bullying amongst the boys and his crush on Lily.

I had a hard time connecting with the characters. I found Owen to be a bore and just flat. Then there was his crush on Lily which took up a lot of his time and I lost interest especially since Lily wasn't someone who was anything spectacular either for me to be curious about. Then when they finally did connect the romance between the two was not believable.

 I did love the originality, Atlantis plus Dystopian that was very creative but it wasn't until about the last hundred pages that things really picked up and I started enjoying what I was reading. In the last few chapters I did see a little transformation in Owens character where he went from being someone with no real confidence to someone who was not afraid to step up to the plate and take control of things.

I like the direction in which I see Emerson taking  the plot I have a feeling in the second book we will see more action and hopefully more character development. Also aside from the little violence this could almost have been a middle grade read.











Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...