1.26.2012

Review:Dark Descendant by Jenna Black

Dark Descendant

  • Pub. Date:April 2011
  • Publisher: Pocket Books
  • Pages: 336
  • Series: Nikki Glass #1


http://www.jennablack.com/



"From the acclaimed author of the Morgan Kingsley, Exorcist books comes the gripping first novel in a new series about a private eye who discovers, to her surprise, that she’s an immortal huntress.

Nikki Glass can track down any man. But when her latest client turns out to be a true descendant of Hades, Nikki now discovers she can’t die. . . .



Crazy as it sounds, Nikki’s manhunting skills are literally god-given. She’s a living, breathing descendant of Artemis who has stepped right into a trap set by the children of the gods. Nikki’s new “friends” include a descendant of Eros, who uses sex as a weapon; a descendant of Loki, whose tricks are no laughing matter; and a half-mad descendant of Kali who thinks she’s a spy. 

But most powerful of all are the Olympians, a rival clan of immortals seeking to destroy all Descendants who refuse to bow down to them. In the eternal battle of good god/bad god, Nikki would make a divine weapon. But if they think she’ll surrender without a fight, the gods must be crazy. ..."



First Sentence: My entire world shattered on a cold, rainy, miserable, night in early December.


Review: This is the first book I've picked up by Jenna Black, main reason for me picking up this book is  because i'm on this whole Urban Fantasy kick but also because I found the synopsis highly interesting.

Dark Descendant is a fast paced read full of action and several twists and turns that had me turning the pages as fast as I could. The heroine Niki Glass rocks! I loved her character, she was strong, independent, and did whatever it took to protect the ones she loved. Then there is also the fact that she is a descendant of Artemis which is a rarity so she is gifted with some serious skills that comes from the gods.

I also loved all of the secondary characters, Black did a wonderful job giving them each personalities that made each one stand out for their own reasons. I know I shouldn't after all the horrible things Jamaal did and the grief he caused Nikki but I loved his character in the end. He really grew as an individual and I am actually looking forward to reading the second book in the series just to get a little bit more of him.

For all my romance lovers there really was no real romance in this novel although you can tell it is building up to one (hopefully). But being a serious romance lover myself I didn't even care about the lack of romance because of how good this book was and the concept behind it.

Overall an excellent read and I highly recommend it. I can't wait to pick up the next book in the series.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this review, I put her on my must-read list!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...