10.21.2016

Review: All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things 



As the daughter of a meth dealer, Wavy knows not to trust people, not even her own parents. Struggling to raise her little brother, eight-year-old Wavy is the only responsible "adult" around. She finds peace in the starry Midwestern night sky above the fields behind her house. One night everything changes when she witnesses one of her father's thugs, Kellen, a tattooed ex-con with a heart of gold, wreck his motorcycle. What follows is a powerful and shocking love story between two unlikely people that asks tough questions, reminding us of all the ugly and wonderful things that life has to offer
First Line: "My mother always started the story by saying, "Well, she was born in the backseat of a stranger's car," as though that explained why Wavy wasn't normal.

Review: 

This was the most uncomfortable and challenging read I've ever had. I had no clue what All the Ugly and Wonderful Things was about going in and if I had known it had to do with a taboo relationship between a man and a child I know I wouldn't have even given it a chance it's not something I can get behind even after reading the book but with all that said, I am glad I read it because it was a very well written and powerful read that stirred so many emotions in me.

The whole time while reading I was questioning myself. 'Why am I still reading this what the hell is wrong with me? This is so wrong on so many levels.' But I kept reading. And any book that can make me question myself in that manner yet keep my attention to the very end is a must read. 


I loved Wavy. Her life was tragic, she had crap parents and no one gave a damn about her. As much as I hate Kellen for being the adult and pursuing the relationship with her at such a young age I also know if it wasn't for him Wavy would have never had a chance at life at all. It's all so twisted. I'm still just so disgusted by the whole thing. What he did was not okay, he was the adult he should have known better. I'm still pissed off about the whole thing weeks after reading it. Needless to say, it is definitely an unforgettable read.

Memorable Quotes:

~"I liked learning things. How numbers worked together to explain the stars. How molecules made the world. All the ugly and wonderful things people had done in the last two thousand years."






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...